- The Children’s Bridge is working in partnership with ACF Adoptions (ACF), based in North Miami Beach, Florida.
- Adoptive family is chosen by an expectant mother/father who wish to make an adoption plan for their child.
- Approximately 50% of the children are African American, 40% are bi-racial, Asian and/or Hispanic, and 10% are Caucasian.
- Infants are placed with adoptive family approximately 10 – 14 days following the birth.
- Adoption is finalized in Florida approximately 6 months after placement. Family does not need to travel to Florida for finalization, but must present for the finalization hearing by phone.
- Children will maintain dual citizenship, and annual US tax returns will need to be filed on behalf of the child by the adoptive family.
- Time from dossier submission to receiving a proposed match is approximately 9 – 18 months.
- Applicants must be open to semi-open adoptions, as they will need to exchange pictures and letters with the birth family through the agency until the child reaches 18. Some situations may allow for more openness.
- Applicants will complete a checklist outlining various situations they are open to (i.e. some in-utero exposure to drugs/alcohol, familial history of mental illness, unknown birth father, etc.).
- In many situations, the adoptive family will have the opportunity to meet the birth mother/father during their trip to Florida.
- Children with various special needs are also available (i.e. Hep C, HIV, prenatal exposure to possible substance abuse, etc.).
- 3 post-placement reports are required during the first 90 days home in order to finalize the adoption.
- Children will reside in an interim home care until placement occurs with the adoptive family.
- This program costs between $80,000 and $100,000.
- There are no fixed age restrictions.
- Program open to married couples (including transgender and same sex) and single applicants.
- Family must be open to a child of any racial background.
- Applicants must be in sound physical and emotional health.
- Family must be open to an open or semi-open adoption.
- Family must be open to signing an Exchange Agreement with birth family.
- Applicants must have a stable financial portfolio.
- One member of the family must be a Canadian citizen.
- Applicants must be free from criminal record.
- Complete consultation with Program Manager.
- Submit ACF’s preliminary application form.
- Completion of home study, PRIDE training and approval in province.
- Compile dossier and family profile booklets.
- Once homestudy approval is received and dossier has been compiled, documents will be submitted to ACF in Florida.
- Match received and reviewed.
- Baby is born and referral documents received.
- Family travels to Florida.
- Completion of home study (average time 3 – 6 months).
- Approval in province varies from 4 – 16 weeks.
- Processing of adoption dossier (Canada and U.S.) averages 4 – 6 weeks.
- Wait for proposal approximately 9 – 18 months.
- Travel to Florida approximately 10 – 14 days after birth.
- One trip of 7 – 14 days is required.