Note: We are only accepting applications for the DCY for 2023 for families open to adopting a child over the age of 4 with some medical needs.
- Adoption is finalized in Thailand in conjuncture with the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada.
- Open to all provinces except Quebec.
- Trip is 3 weeks in length.
- Post placement reports due 2, 4 and 6 months once home.
- Children waiting for families due to socio-economic conditions.
- Children reside in orphanages.
- Both boys and girls are in need of families (mostly boys). Families may request sex but must be prepared for a longer wait for a girl. May also request twins or sibling groups but this is rare.
- Children will be approximately 14 months of age and up at time of referral.
- Minimum age 25 years and up to a maximum age of 40 years of age.
- Couples over 40 but under 48 who are open to children over the age of 4 may be considered for this program.
- Families who have fertility issues should provide proof of same with a letter from their doctor.
- No same sex or common law couples eligible.
- Must be married for a minimum of 2 years and have no more than 2 previous marriages.
- Must have a minimum of high school education.
- Must be in excellent physical and emotional health.
- Must not be taking any prescribed medication for anxiety or depression – some exceptions may apply.
- Must be 5 years cancer free.
- Sound financial position.
- One of a couple must be a Canadian citizen and have no criminal record.
- No morticians may apply.
- Open to residents of all provinces except Quebec.
- Completion of home study and approval in province.
- File sent for authentication and legalization to Foreign Affairs and the Royal Thai Embassy.
- File then sent to Thailand (Department of Children & Youth (DCY) or Thai Red Cross Children’s Home (TRCCH)).
- Families receive their referral approximately 2 ½ years after their file is logged in at the DCY/TRCCH. Currently proposals are expected in approximately 3 – 4 years after file has been received in Thailand.
- Both parents must travel to Thailand to complete the adoption process (including an official interview).
- Stay in Thailand is 3 weeks in duration.
- Completion of three post placement reports is mandatory for finalization to be completed.
- Thailand informs Royal Thai Embassy in Canada on completion of finalization.
- Both parents along with their child must travel to the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa or the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Vancouver to complete the process.
- Wait for referral is approximately 3 – 4 years.