- Advocates for Children and Families is a not-for-profit adoption agency licensed by the State of Florida since 1992;
- Families must be open to parenting a child from any race or ethnic background, as well as to either gender;
- Prospective adoptive families typically wait anywhere from 12 – 24 months from dossier submission to being matched with an expectant mother;
- Adoptive families are chosen by an expectant mother in Florida – families must be open to semi and/or open adoptions for this program;
- Once selected by an expectant mother, the adoptive family will be provided with written information about the prospective child and a cost estimate for the adoption which they may accept or reject;
- Each case has a somewhat different cost due to the variance in living and medical expenses for the birth mother. Counseling is also a variable in some cases;
- Three post-placement reports are required once returning home to Canada. The adoption cannot be finalized until this occurs;
- Finalization of the adoption will be in the Florida court that issued the approval of placement, which the family will attend via teleconference, approximately 6 – 8 months following placement.