China - Waiting Children Program
- The China Centre for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) have advised our agency that domestic adoptions have increased in China over the last 3 years. Children currently in the Waiting Children program are older, aged 2 to 12, with complex medical conditions. There may be older boys age 13+ that are healthy or have minor medical conditions available for adoption.
- Limited familial medical history is available; however, a detailed medical is included with each referral.
- A limited history since coming to the orphanage is provided.
- Adoption finalized in China.
- Your child will arrive home approximately 6 months after you receive your child’s referral.
- Families must be open to children of either sex in this adoption program.
- You must be between 30 and 55 years of age.
- No same sex couples open to single female applicants (some restrictions apply please contact the Adoption Program Manager)
- Must be married (no common law or same sex couples).
- Couples must be married for 2 years and have no more than 2 previous marriages. If previously married, current marriage must be minimum 5 years in length.
- You must be free from criminal record and in good physical and emotional health.
- Applicants must be free from the following conditions: AIDS, cancer, intellectual disability, infectious disease, blindness, deafness, physical disability, lupus, epilepsy, schizophrenia, less than two years after stopping medication for mental illness such as depression, 10 years post surgery of organ transplantation, 10 years free of drinking if history of alcohol abuse.
- Cannot be noticeably overweight (BMI – Body Mass Index – cannot exceed 40. You can calculate your BMI HERE.)
- Both applicants must have a high school education (or equivalent vocational education) or higher.
- The family’s net worth cannot be lower than $80,000 USD (for conversion to CAD go to www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi) If adopting as a single female applicant your net worth cannot be lower than $100,000 USD
- At least one of a couple MUST be a Canadian citizen.
- The family must live in a large urban centre with access to appropriate resources to meet each child’s individual needs. Each family must complete a screening process with The Children’s Bridge prior to proceeding.
- Screening process completed by The Children’s Bridge.
- Family must be open to speaking with other families who have completed older child adoptions and accessing appropriate therapy resource supports in the community in which they live.
- Completion of a home study and approval in province including completion of a child profile detailing the type of special medical needs your family can support.
- Waiting Children Program children’s files are posted to The China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) on-line system each month.
- Six-month supervision is required by the Adoption Practitioner.
- CCCWA requires completion of post placement reports at 6, 12 months home as well as at the 2, 3 and 5 and 6 year mark.
- Family completes screening process with The Children’s Bridge (approximately 2 weeks)
- Family then begins the home study process which varies but average is 3 – 6 months to complete. Family must also complete PRIDE training and AdopTALK.
- Family submits their home study (Ontario) and dossier to The Children’s Bridge.
- The provincial ministries take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to give approval for the Waiting Children Program. The family must be approved for the Waiting Children Program and must identify the particular needs their family can support. For example, “a boy between 8 to 10 years of age with cleft lip and cleft palate or mild hearing impairment.”.
- Once “Letter of Approval” is received from the provincial government, The Children’s Bridge will courier the complete translated, authenticated dossier to the CCCWA for review and log in
- Families will then be advised to begin the immigration process.
- Once the file has been logged in at the CCCWA, a child proposal can be presented to the family.
- The family will have 72 hours to accept or decline the proposal. If accepted, the family will meet with their Adoption Practitioner who will recommend the match to the provincial ministry
- Once the CCCWA accepts the match, they will issue the relevant documentation (Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter) for signature within 3 – 4 months.
- Families will travel approximately 8 – 10 weeks after sending the Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter to the CCAA.
- During these 8 – 10 weeks, the “Notice of Traveling to China for Adoption” will be sent to the agency/province from the CCCWA.
- The adoption journey will last approximately 2 weeks.
- The entire process takes approximately 10 – 12 months to complete.
- Timelines do fluctuate. These are estimates only.